Model Driven Generation Technologies allow users to extend Enterprise Architect’s modelling capabilities to specific domains and notations. MDG Technologies seamlessly plug into Enterprise Architect to provide additional customized toolboxes, UML profiles, patterns, templates and other modelling resources.
Enterprise Architect also have some built-in technologies which may vary based on the edition of Enterprise Architect.
To create a custom MDG using Model Wizard:
- Create new or open existing Enterprise Architect file.
- Open Model Wizard and select Frameworks | Simple Template from Model Wizard dialog.
- Add a Technology Name.
- By selecting the simple template from Model Wizard, simple package structure (For Defining MDG Technology) will be auto created.
Define MDG Technology:
To create a MDG technology, some basic steps needs to be performed in the below order:
- Create Profile elements
- Create diagram profile
- Create toolbox profile
And below are other optional items that can be added in MDG Technology.
To Create Profile Elements:
- All the custom objects and connectors that need to be added in the MDG Technology should be added under this package.
- All the element or connectors which needs to be created should have a metaclass definition.
- To add a metaclass, choose the diagram under the <<profile>> stereotyped package and enable the tool box of it.
- Drag and drop the Metaclass object from the toolbox and select the type of object from which the new object is extending
- Can also create multiple stereotype elements from single metaclass element.
- Once the Meta class is created, need to add a Stereotype object from tool box and need to add an extend connector between the Meta class and stereotype element.
- Select stereotype element | Edit with profile helper to customize the effect of stereotype properties.
In General Tab: Name and Metatype sections are mandatory.
a. The stereotype of this class object will be “Rule”.
b. In our case the name is Rule and the same should be filled in the Metatype.In Tagged Values Tab:
a. Existing tagged values can also be added here by selecting Predefined list.
b. All the tagged values that needs to be added in the object can be created here.
In Shape Script Tab:
a. Shape Scripts is used to extend the standard objects shapes and styles to create new styles.
To Create Toolbox Profile:
- All the objects that acre created under profile stereotype packages should be added in the tool box page, so that it will get displayed in the created MDG technology.
- To add a tool box page, drag and drop the Add Toolbox Page object from the tool box to the diagram under the <<toolbox profile>> package.
- In Add Toolbox Page, provide Name, tool tip, icon and finally need to add the items (elements/Connectors) for the respective toolboxes.
- Added item will be displayed in the tool box items section and need to give the alias for all the items added in the tool box as below.
- And the tool box items will be displayed like below in the diagram and it will have connected with a metaclass toolbox page
To Create Diagram Profile:
A diagram profile which can be linked to a Toolbox Profile that will provide quick access to these modelling constructs for rapid development.
- To add a diagram extension, need to drag drop Add Diagram Extension object from tool box to the diagram under the <<diagram profile>> stereotyped package.
- Name, Extension Type (from which extension) Alias, Toolbox profile Name needs to be filled
- Toolbox profile property helps to auto open the toolbox while using this diagram type.
- Value of Toolbox profile should be same as the Toolbox name which we defined.
- After created the diagram extension will be added with an metaclass connected to it like below
To Export XML’s for Generating MDG Technology:
- Each packages profile, diagram and toolbox should be saved as UML profile separately.
- To save as profile right click the package -> Advanced -> save package as UML profile.
- A unique name should be maintained for each packages as these need to be identified and selected at the time of MDG creation.
Generate MDG technology:
- To generate MDG technology file, select “Publish | Generate MDG Technology File” menu from ‘Publish’ Tab and fill the details in “MDG Technology Creation Wizard” and finish it which creates a MDG technology file.
- Select “MDG Technology Creation Wizard”. Select “Next”.
- Select to create a new MTS file and proceed with Next click.
- Browse a path and save it as .MTS file. click Next.
- Define filename to save technology file as .xml, ID, Version and Notes. Select Next to proceed further.
Option Action Technology Type the name of the MDG Technology. Filename Type or select the path and filename of the MDG Technology File.The file extension for this file is .xml. ID Type a unique reference for the MDG Technology File, up to 12 characters long. Version Type the version number of the MDG Technology File. Icon (Optional) Type or select the path and file name of the graphics file containing the technology icon(16×16 bitmap). Logo (Optional) Type or select the path and file name of the graphics file containing the technology logo(64×64 bitmap). URL (Optional If you have any website product information type or paste the URL in this field. Support (Optional) If you have any web-based or other support facility type or paste the contact address in this field. Notes Type a short explanation of the functionality of the MDG Technology.
Select the checkbox for each item to be included in the MDG Technology file.
- When you have selected the checkboxes for all the items you want to include, click on the Next button.Each selection runs specific dialogs to enable definition of the specific items to be included in the MDG Technology.
- Locate Profile xml. which was created for each packages (profile, diagram and toolbox) and it will display all the UML profiles under the selected folder and it that need to select the profile UML alone
- And similarly need to select the profiles for tool box and diagram
- Locate diagram xml. select the needed definition and select Next.
- Select Next and Finish
- MDG Technology successfully created
To Import MDG Technology:
From Ribbon , Public Tab -> Publish ( Resource Section ) -> Import MDG Technology
Once imported, the added technology will be displayed in the MDG Technologies.
Goto Configure ->Manage ( Technology section )
To Update MDG Toolbox:
- Do Changes in MDG Profile eap file and regenerate all the steps defined in “Generate MDG Technology”
- When creating MDG file in the final step instead of Create a New MTS file need to choose Open an existing MTS file and need to select the existing MTS file and update the information in it. For each update in MDG it’s good to update the version of it.
Drop mail to firstname.lastname@example.org for any assistance.